The Zoo has launched an iPhone application that allows visitors to track their location on zoo grounds using real-time GPS coordinates, access photos and videos of animals and exhibits, view a schedule of the day’s activities, and find friends who are also visiting the zoo.
“We’re excited to offer this service and think our visitors will find it helpful and fun. The app will provide instant and up-to-date information about all the Detroit Zoo has to offer,” said zoo director Ron Kagan.
“It’s also a great way to plan a visit in advance and a valuable resource for anyone interested in learning more about our animals, habitats and programs.”
The Detroit Zoo’s application for the iPhone features:
• GPS-enabled map displaying a visitor’s location, and a “Friend Finder” feature allowing users to connect with their friends while at the Zoo.
• “Near Me” feature that lists all of the Zoo’s habitats and attractions as well as the locations of restrooms, concession stands and gift shops in close proximity to the visitor’s location.
• “Today” button with an updated list of the day’s activities, animal feedings, zookeeper talks and animal enrichment activities, allowing visitors to create a personalized schedule and identify each item on an interactive map.
• “Animals” button that provides photos and facts about the Zoo’s residents.
• “More” page to keep visitors informed with frequently updated news including parking information, new animals, upcoming special events, conservation and animal welfare programs, and the latest photo/video galleries.
• Easy access to Facebook and Twitter that enables visitors to share their Zoo experience and photos with friends instantaneously.
• Up-to-the-second messages sent directly to visitors’ iPhones to keep them informed of animal feedings and enrichment activities, special events, and parking and traffic updates.
• The ability to purchase tickets and memberships and to make a donation to the Detroit Zoo directly from the iPhone.
Designed in collaboration with Austin, Texas-based AVAI Mobile Solutions, the Detroit Zoo iPhone app is available for download at the iTunes App Store (search for “Detroit Zoo”) for the introductory price of $1.99. Proceeds from the sale of the app will benefit conservation.