With a new bond hearing set this week, George Zimmerman‘s lawyer, Mark O’Mara, has reportedly filed a new motion to argue why his client should be granted bond, according to the Orlando Sentinel.
RELATED:Breaking! Defense Team Releases Zimmerman’s Account On Video
On Friday, O’Mara will attempt to make the case for why Zimmerman should be released from jail. O’Mara is claiming that Zimmerman “has no criminal convictions, no history of failing to appear at court proceedings and has significant ties to the community as evidence at his initial bond hearing.”
Even though the Zimmerman defense team are relying on Zimmerman’s record to free him from jail, the fact that Zimmerman’s wife, Shellie, lied to the court about their lack of funds in the initial hearing is a major sticking point. Another issue is that George also misled the court about turning in all of his passports.
Once the court got wind of the Zimmermans’ indiscretions, Shellie was arrested and charged with perjury, while George’s bond was revoked. Consequently, it will be an uphill battle for the Zimmerman defense team to convince presiding judge Kenneth Lester that George should still be released in spite of lying to the court twice.
RELATED:NewsOne’s Coverage Of Trayvon Martin
After being charged with the second-degree murder of 17-year-old Trayvon Martin in February, Zimmerman’s bond hearing took place on April 20th, where he was released on $150,000 bond. By June 1, though, George’s bond was revoked, so he has been in prison for nearly a month.
It remains to be seen whether Judge Lester will release George in spite of his transgressions.
Take Our Poll
Hollywood’s Hottest Strippers
Woman Can’t Get Job ‘Cause She’s Muslim?
- ^according to the Orlando Sentinel (articles.orlandosentinel.com)
- ^Breaking! Defense Team Releases Zimmerman’s Account On Video (newsone.com)
- ^lied to the court about their lack of funds (www.thedailybeast.com)
- ^^bond was revoked (newsone.com)
- ^NewsOne’s Coverage Of Trayvon Martin (newsone.com)
- ^was released on $150,000 bond (newsone.com)
- ^bond was revoked (newsone.com)
- ^Take Our Poll (polldaddy.com)
- ^Hollywood’s Hottest Strippers (www.thedailybeast.com)
- ^Woman Can’t Get Job ‘Cause She’s Muslim? (www.thedailybeast.com)