DETROIT (WWJ) – Detroit officials say hazardous materials crews were called to the city’s 911 communications building when employees smelled natural gas. The building is located near Lyndon and Wyoming.

Officials talking to WWJ Newsradio 950′s Pat Sweeting said it’s been determined that the leak did not originate from the 911 dispatch center, but employees there smelled fumes.

At around Noon everyone inside was asked to leave the building.

“The odor of natural gas was pretty much overwhelming and at that point we started evacuation because we did not know the source of the gas,” said Detroit Police Commander Todd Bedison, who added that, as of 12:30 p.m., they were still trying to figure out where the smell was coming from.

The Detroit Fire Department is on the scene as an investigation continues.

No injuries have been reported.

Bedison said the ordeal cause a minor disruption in 911 services at the center for about five to 10 minutes. Services have been redirected to another center on Detroit’s east side and response time has returned to normal.

Also On The Michigan Chronicle:
comments – Add Yours