How The Air In Your Home Can Make You Sick

    Comments:  | Leave A Comment

    Research has shown that the quality of indoor air can be worse than that of outdoor air. Many homes are built or remodeled more tightly, without regard to the factors that assure fresh and healthy indoor air. Our homes today contain many furnishings, appliances and products that can affect indoor air quality.

    Signs of indoor air quality problems include:

    Unusual and noticeable odors.
    Stale or stuffy air.
    Noticeable lack of air movement.
    Dirty or faulty central heating or air conditioning equipment.
    Damaged flue pipes or chimneys.
    Unvented combustion air sources for fossil fuel appliances.
    Excessive humidity.
    Presence of molds and mildew.
    Health reaction after remodeling, weatherizing, using new furniture, using household and hobby products, or moving into a new home.
    Feeling noticeably healthier outside.

    Surprising Sources Of Indoor Air Pollution

    Air Fresheners

    Air fresheners may cause breathing difficulties and headaches for some people. In a study, nearly one-third of people with asthma said they had breathing problems when exposed to air fresheners. Tests by the Natural Resources Defense Council found that some air fresheners contain phthalates, a chemical linked to child developmental and hormonal issues. Instead, use natural herbs like rosemary, basil, or mint and good ventilation to freshen air.

    Stove Problems

    Improperly installed or vented gas stoves can release harmful gases into your home. At low levels, carbon monoxide can cause fatigue. Higher concentrations can cause nausea, headaches, confusion, and even death. Nitrogen dioxide can cause respiratory problems — especially in children. Make sure burners are adjusted correctly so that flame tips are always blue. Vent the stove with a fan that blows outside.

    Dry-Cleaned Clothes

    The next time you pick up your clothes from the cleaners, take a whiff. Dry cleaning most often uses perchloroethylene, a chemical that has been found to cause cancer in animals. When you bring freshly dry-cleaned clothes into your home, your family may be inhaling this potentially harmful chemical. Air dry-cleaned clothes in the garage for several days before wearing them or wash clothes the traditional way.

    Click here to read more

    Tags: » » » »

    Comments

    blog comments powered by Disqus
    Follow

    Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

    Join 163 other followers