Malcolm Shabazz, Grandson Of Malcolm X, Dead At 28

    Comments: 0  | Leave A Comment

    UPDATED 5/9/2013, at 8:20 p.m.: NewsOne just got off the phone with an associate of Terrie M. Williams, the family friend who announced Malcolm Shabazz’s death via Twitter. Williams, who runs The Terrie Williams Talent Agency in New York City, says that she has worked closely with the Shabazz family. Though she was not available when NewsOne called, an associate at her agency did say that she has confirmed his death.

    The Journal News [1]out of White Plains, N.Y. did reach Williams directly and she confirmed Shabazz’s death with the newspaper. “I mentored him and he did a lot of work with us in terms of speaking to young people,” Williams told the Journal News. “He was a very, very powerful brother.


    Malcolm Shabazz, the grandson of legendary human rights leader, El Hajj Malik el Shabazz, (Malcolm X), has died today, the Amsterdam News reports[2].

    RELATED: NewsOne ReIssue: Malcolm X’s Grandson Breaks Silence![3]

    The Amsterdam News has learned, and the U.S. Embasy has reportedly confirmed, that Malcolm Shabazz, son of Malcolm X, was killed on early Thursday morning, May 9, 2013. 

    “I’m confirming, per US Embassy, on behalf of family, the tragic death of Malcolm Shabazz, grandson of Malcolm X. Statement frm family 2 come,” wrote close friend of the Shabazz family Terrie M. Williams on twitter[4].

    He reportedly died from injuries sustained after he was thrown off a building as he was being robbed in Tijuana. Again, this has not been confirmed.

    RELATED: Malcolm X’s Grandson Reported Arrested En Route To Iran[5]

    Early reports said he was shot. Information is still coming in.

    Shabazz is survived by his three year old daughter, Ilyasah, his mother, Qubilah, and his closest aunt, Ilyasah, among others. Shabazz was living with his grandmother Betty Shabazz, when he set fire to her Yonkers, N.Y. home in 1997. Mrs. Shabazz died from severe burns caused by the fire. Shabazz was just 12-years-old at the time. He eventually plead guilty to manslaughter and arson and was sentenced to 18 months in a juvenile detention facility. Years later, he told the Amsterdam News that he had not set the fire.

    He was in the process of writing two books, at least one of which was a manuscript. He was attending John Jay College of Criminal Justice in New York.

    Read more


    blog comments powered by Disqus