New Center Park, located on West Grand Boulevard at 2nd Avenue in Detroit’s historic New Center district, begins its summer-long series with weekly movie nights, live music and theater performances, dance parties, and more on June 3rd, 2015. All events at New Center Park are FREE and open to the public, making for a fun-filled, unforgettable summer. EveryWednesday night, all summer long, New Center Park will be screening new blockbuster films as well as timeless classics. New this year is a series of family-friendly movies, with films perfect for the younger audiences every Friday evening. In addition to free movie screenings on Wednesday andFriday nights, special concerts, shows, and dance parties will be hosted on nearly 20 evenings between June and August. Professional theatre company Shakespeare in Detroit, an eclectic Latin dance night presented by Soluciones Onda Latina featuring DJ X/S, and Shara Worden’s genre-defying My Brightest Diamond are just a few of the dynamic performances that will bring New Center Park to life on Thursday and Saturday evenings throughout the summer.
New Center Park’s movie nights and special events are the perfect way to enjoy the beautiful summer evenings after a long day. Don’t miss the chance to enjoy classic films and new favorites, award-winning performers and up-and-coming Detroit musicians, or a simple afternoon picnic with family and friends in this unique green space. View the full line-up at NewCenterPark.com.
WEDNESDAY NIGHT MOVIES
New Center’s Wednesday Night Movies series kick off the summer event schedule on June 3rd, with doors opening at 8:00 p.m. and screenings beginning between 9:00 p.m. and 9:30 p.m., depending on sunset times. Wednesday evening screenings for the summer are as follows:
– June 3: Cinetopia International Film Festival brings “Detroit Unleaded” to New Center Park to kick off the Wednesday Night Movie series! This slice-of-life romantic dramedy from Detroit filmmaker Rola Nashef centers on an Arab-owned 24-hour gas station in Detroit.
– June 10: Wes Anderson’s “The Grand Budapest Hotel” is a quirky comedy about a legendary concierge at a fictional hotel. With 9 Academy Award nominations, this one’s not to be missed!
– June 17: The 1995 family-friendly classic “Heavyweights” is a comedy film about a group of boys at a weight loss camp who meet their match in a new fitness guru.
– June 24: Revolving around social life in a Chicago storefront, “Barbershop” features a great line-up of actors and comedians who’ll have you laughing all evening long!
– July 1: “Chef” is a feel-good film with a charming cast that explores the life of a professional chef who quits his job and decides to drive a food truck cross-country.
– July 1: New Center Park is the perfect venue to enjoy the rhythms presented in “Drumline,” featuring rapper and actor Nick Cannon as a young drummer who joins a marching band.
– July 15: A sci-fi thriller taking place on a train, “Snowpiercer” will have you on the edge of your seat and immerse you in the action of futuristic class warfare.
– July 22: “Rear Window” is a 1954 masterpiece from Alfred Hitchcock suitable for the whole family. Sponsored by Shinola.
– July 29: Another classic presented by Shinola, “Cat on a Hot Tin Roof” is a touching father-and-son tale that will capture your heart.
– August 5: The Oscar-winning “20 Feet From Stardom” shines a light on some of the untold heroes behind the greatest musical legends of the 21st century.
– August 12: You’re sure to fall in love with “Splendor in the Grass,” a 1961 romantic drama. Sponsored by Shinola.
– August 19: A heartwarming story of two competitive on-again off-again lovers, “Love & Basketball” will give you the perfect combination of drama, romance, and high-stake sports.
– August 26: You won’t be able to resist quoting all your favorite lines from director Francis Ford Coppola’s critically-acclaimed film, “The Godfather.”
FRIDAY NIGHT MOVIES
The brand new Friday Night Movies series featuring films for all ages begins June 5th, with doors opening at 8:00 p.m. and screenings beginning between 9:00 p.m. and 9:30 p.m., depending on sunset times. Bring a blanket, some popcorn, and the whole family and settle in to celebrate the end of a work week and a beautiful summer night! Friday evening screenings for the summer are as follows:
– June 5: The original “Toy Story” still speaks to audiences of all ages even twenty years after the movie’s release.
– June 12: Based on the comic books from Marvel Comics, “Iron Man” is one action-adventure superhero flick you don’t want to miss!
– June 19: “Pirates of the Caribbean” will take the family on a wild ride across the ocean, with swashbuckling Johnny Depp at the helm.
– June 26: The Looney Tunes 1979 film “The Bugs Bunny/Road-Runner Movie” is a compilation of classic Warner Bros. cartoon shorts and animation hosted by none other than Bugs Bunny.
– July 3: A sequel to the 3D animated comedy film, “Despicable Me 2” will make you fall in love with the little Minions all over again.
– July 10: “The Lego Movie” is the first ever, full-length theatrical LEGO adventure!
– July 17: NO MOVIE – Shakespeare in Detroit will perform at New Center Park fromJune 16-19 as part of the Park’s Special Events series.
– July 24: A fantasy film from Walt Disney, “Frozen” became an instant classic for kids everywhere when it came out in 2013.
– July 31: To celebrate Christmas in July, New Center Park will screen everyone’s favorite creepy holiday film, Tim Burton’s “The Nightmare Before Christmas.”
– August 7: NO MOVIE – The weekend-long Caribbean Festival will be hosted at New Center Park from August 7-9 as part of the Park’s Special Events series.
– August 14: Join the endearing monster duo of Sulley and his wisecracking sidekick Mike Wazowski at the scream-processing factory in “Monsters, Inc.” as they team up to get a little girl named Boo back into her home.
– August 21: The critically-acclaimed “Up” presents an endearing story that will deliver lessons about life, love and friendship for the whole family.
– August 28: The first installment in the internationally-renowned series, “Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone” opens with Harry’s discovery that he is a famous wizard and follows him as he begins his magical education at Hogwarts.
THURSDAY & SATURDAY SPECIAL EVENTS
New Center Park’s Special Events series presents concerts, shows, and dance parties on various Thursday and Saturday evenings between June and August (times vary). The Special Events series kicks off on Thursday, June 4th at 7:00 p.m. with award-winning singer Thornetta Davis. The full lineup includes:
– June 4: Thornetta Davis will bring her special brand of Detroit funk, blues, and R&B to New Center Park to set the tone for the whole summer! Doors 6:00 p.m., performance 7:00 p.m. – 9:00 p.m.
– June 11: The six-piece band from Connecticut Bronze Radio Return keeps the energy going with a blend of live indie, roots and rock. Doors 6:00 p.m., performance 7:00 p.m. – 9:00 p.m.
– June 18: Detroit born-and-bred poet emcee and 2013 Kresge Literary Fellow Chace “Mic Write” Morris takes over the stage with a dynamic spoken word and music performance that will stop you in your tracks. Doors 6:00 p.m., performance 7:00 p.m. – 9:00 p.m.
– June 25: The WXMD Summer Solstice Event is back for another round this year with an energetic outdoors dance party! Doors 6:00 p.m., performance 7:00 p.m. – 9:00 p.m.
– June 27: Don’t miss your chance to dance to the beat of Salsa, Merengue, Bachata, and the latest dance craze…Kizomba! Soluciones Onda Latina presents Latin Night in New Center Park with DJ X/S spinning hot Latin rhythms. Lessons at 8:00 p.m., performance and dance party 9:00 p.m. – 11:00 p.m.
– July 4: This year’s Concert of Colors “Tune-Up” features Spam Allstars, a nine-piece hip hop, Latin, funk, and electronica band from Miami. The annual summer celebration of diversity in the arts never disappoints, so make sure to come early for this one! DJ at 8:00 p.m., performance 9:00 p.m. – 11:00 p.m.
– July 9: American Balkan brass and jazz band Slavic Soul Party! is coming from Brooklyn to bring Detroit their unforgettable performance of gypsy music, klezmer, funk, and New Orleans jazz. This fiery band is a tour-de-force that has a reputation for keeping audiences dancing from the moment they take the stage until late into the night. Doors at 6:00 p.m., performance 7:00 p.m. – 9:00 p.m.
– July 16-19: Sponsored by Rebuild Nation and First American Title, New Center Park is honored to host Shakespeare in Detroit as they present Macbeth across four days in July. This high-quality theatre troupe has been receiving glowing reviews for their immersive performances since their debut in the city in 2013. “The quiet location, fully equipped with an amphitheater in Detroit’s New Center area is the perfect place for the young company to perform The Scottish Play,” says Founder and Artistic Director Samantha White. Make sure you’re a part of this exclusive, free experience! July 16-18: Doors at 7:00 p.m., performance8:00 p.m.; July 19: Doors at 1:00 p.m., performance 2:00 p.m.
– July 23: My Brightest Diamond, the project of singer-songwriter and multi-instrumentalist Shara Worden, mixes elements of opera, cabaret, chamber music, and rock for a genre-defying live music experience you won’t forget. Doors at 6:00 p.m., performance7:00 p.m. – 9:00 p.m.
– July 30: Exploring the power of creative expression to activate social change, Detroit-based artists and producers Invincible, Wajeed, and more will get the audience on their feet with their multimedia, ground-breaking performance, Emergence Media & Dirt Tech Reck Presents. Doors 6:00 p.m., performance 7:00 p.m. – 9:00 p.m.
– August 1: Motor City Brewing Works 20th Anniversary Party Ghettoblaster Volume 3 CD Release Party is a guaranteed good time with great tunes spinning all evening long! Join in the celebration of one of Midtown’s premiere breweries and art venues. Doors 6:00 p.m., performance 7:00 p.m. – 9:00 p.m.
– August 7-9: Come experience Caribbean culture through dance, family entertainment, food, international performers, and more during the weekend-long Caribbean Festival!August 7: 5:00 p.m. – 10:00 p.m.; August 8: 2:00 p.m. – 11:00 p.m.; August 9: 3:00 p.m. – 10:00 p.m.
– August 29: Featuring Chris Campbell, WDET 101.9FM “Summer Dance Party!” will close out the special events series with tunes to groove to that everyone will enjoy. Doors at 8:00 p.m., performance 9:00 p.m. – 11:00 p.m.
New Center Park is located in Midtown Detroit, at 2998 West Grand Boulevard, on the corner of Second Avenue and West Grand Boulevard. All events are free and open to the public. Midtown Detroit, Inc., produces the park’s summer series. Call 313.420.6000 or visit www.NewCenterPark.comfor more information.
New Center Park’s Summer Series is sponsored by Henry Ford Health System, HAP, Michigan State Housing Development Authority, Monahan, Giffels Webster, WHCanon Landscape Company, Budweiser, Guinness, WDET 101.9FM, and WWJ Newsradio 950.
FOLLOW US ON SOCIAL MEDIA: