A grand jury on Tuesday returned an indictment on six murder charges and one count of official misconduct against a Chicago police officer in the shooting death of Laquan McDonald, reports the Chicago Sun-Times.

The officer, Jason Van Dyke, was arrested earlier this month after a viral video — obtained by the media after a court challenge — showed him shooting the 17-year-old 16 times during a confrontation on a Chicago street in 2014. The teen was shot over 10 times after he fell to the ground.

The execution-style shooting touched off calls by civil rights activists for the resignation of Cook County State’s Attorney Anita Alvarez and embattled Mayor Rahm Emanuel. The incident led to the ouster of Chicago Police Supt. Garry McCarthy and a series of resignations by some high-ranking officials in the department.

From the Sun-Times:

Van Dyke’s attorney, Daniel Herbert, said he had not heard about the indictment on Wednesday, but said “it would not come as a surprise.”

Van Dyke, 37, was released from the Cook County Jail on Nov. 30 after posting a $150,000 bond, 10 percent of a $1.5 million bail. Van Dyke was charged with first-degree murder on Nov. 24, just hours before the video was released to the public.

The video — released 13 months after the shooting — shows McDonald running down the middle of Pulaski Road near 41st Street when Van Dyke opens fire, hitting the teen 16 times. Prosecutors said Van Dyke fired 16 shots in 14 to 15 seconds, and for all but one of two of those seconds, McDonald was already lying wounded on the pavement on Oct. 20, 2014.

Emanuel is slated to meet Thursday with the Department of Justice, which is investigating the shooting.

SOURCE: Sun-Times | PHOTO CREDIT: Getty

“That Happened On My Watch:” Rahm Emanuel Apologizes For Laquan McDonald Shooting As Calls For His Resignation Intensify

Also On The Michigan Chronicle:
comments – Add Yours