The city of Southfield Total Living Commission (TLC) is seeking applicants for the Southfield Ambassadors program, a new community engagement fellowship designed to connect the community.
The Southfield Ambassadors Program will be a collective of talented residents that strive to stimulate progress within Southfield’s civic, community, business and economic development landscapes. Ambassadors will work to connect with fellow residents and surrounding cities to promote Southfield and raise awareness of its many events and activities. This select group of volunteers will engage in an active two-year leadership development program while networking with Southfield officials, organizations and businesses to raise public awareness of key programs and projects for the city. Ambassadors will be diverse in their work and life experiences as well as their demographic backgrounds. The intent of the Ambassadors program is that they will stay involved in the city well after their two-year fellowship to continue their efforts to benefit the community.
Characteristics of a Southfield Ambassador:
Business professionals, college students, retired professionals or active seniors that want to make a difference in Southfield;
- Ambitious and hard-working individuals;
- Individuals that believe they can make a difference in and around Southfield through their work and ideas;
- Individuals who want to develop as leaders, both personally and professionally;
- Individuals who are diverse and multidisciplinary in their approach; and
- Individuals who are willing to be a representative for Southfield to promote the community in a positive manner.
Criteria to be eligible to become a Southfield Ambassador:
· Applicants must be 18 years or older;
· Applicants must be a Southfield resident, work, go to school or worship in the city of Southfield;
· Applicants need to be available for a two-year fellowship program; and
· Applicants must be willing to submit to a criminal background check (if required).
Southfield Ambassador Program Objective:
· Ambassadors may attend city events taking place throughout the year;
· Ambassadors may meet monthly with the Total Living Commission program coordinators to discuss potential ideas and projects to help develop the city;
· Ambassadors may reach out to Southfield businesses and other potential businesses to promote the city;
· Ambassadors may staff the Neighborhood & Information Center;
· Ambassadors may spread awareness and promotion of the program and city endeavors through social media, word-of-mouth, and community meetings;
· Ambassadors are willing to receive training on all relevant city programs, services and general information; and
· Honorary Business Ambassadors may contribute funding for the program or promote the City to their employees and the general public in an informative and positive manner.
Southfield Ambassador Program Selection Process:
- Application period March 15 – April 15, 2016. All applications must be received by April 15, 2016.
· Applications will be reviewed for interviews April 20-29, 2016.
· Interviews will take place May 2-13, 2016.
· Applicants will be selected and notified by May 20, 2016.
· The official Ambassadors Welcome Reception / Program Kick-off will take place on June 1, 2016.
· The selected Southfield Ambassadors fellowship will run from June 1, 2016 – June 1, 2018.
To apply, potential Ambassadors must fill out an application which includes the following questions:
· Does the applicant meet the criteria to participate in the Southfield Ambassador Program?
· Briefly describe the applicant’s involvement in the City and what they have contributed to the community.
· Briefly describe the applicant’s Spirit of Southfield and their willingness to share their time and efforts for the benefit and welfare of the Southfield community.
Applications for the Southfield Ambassador Program are available on the City’s Web site at www.cityofsouthfield.com under the ‘Highlights’ section on the homepage. To be considered, the application must be filled out in its entirety and e-mailed to firstname.lastname@example.org or mailed to City of Southfield, Attn: Community Relations Department, 26000 Evergreen Road, P.O. Box 2055, Southfield, MI 48037-2055.
For more information, contact Community Relations at (248) 796-5130.