Mayor Duggan and the Department of Neighborhoods, along with representatives of various community organizations, kicked off the 2016 Motor City Makeover – the City of Detroit’s annual cleanup and beautification effort. The announcement was made at Cody High School on Detroit’s west side. This year, the city will be cleaned by districts. Districts 6 and 7 will be cleaned on May 7; Districts 3, 4, and 5 will be cleaned on May 14; and Districts 1 and 2 will be cleaned on May 21.
Individuals and groups are encouraged to:
- Register online atwww.motorcitymakeover.org or call (313) 224-4415 to join the effort.
- Clean around their neighborhood, business, house of worship, or school on the Saturday designated for their district.
- Organize their neighbors, members or employees for a massive cleanup. Volunteers can indicate the area they will clean when registering or call (313) 224-4415 for a location.
- Organize their neighbors to board up vacant homes in their area.
- Beautify theirarea by planting flowers, plants, or trees, or by removing graffiti, etc.
Volunteers who need gloves and bags are asked to contact their local District Manager or call the Motor City Makeover hotline at (313) 224-4415. Registered groups will be informed of the date that supplies will be available for pick-up. Residents or organizations needing a location to clean up or beautify should call the hotline.
The scheduled cleanup dates and locations to pick-up supplies are as follows:
Saturday, May 7
Patton Recreation Center, 2301 Woodmere
Adams Butzel Recreation Complex, 10500 Lyndon
Saturday, May 21
Crowell Recreation Center, 16630 Lahser
Northwest Activities Center, 18100 Meyers
Saturday, May 14
Farwell Recreation Center, 2781 E. Outer Drive
Warren-Conner Development Coalition, 4401 Conner
Recycle Here!, 1331 Holden
Butzel Family Center, 7737 Kercheval
Volunteers may take bagged litter to any of the five drop-off locations listed below, which will be open on the three Saturday cleanup dates.
Bulk Drop-Off Locations: Limit is one cubic yard or 1,000 pounds
- Davison Yard – 8221 West Davison, 10:30 a.m. – 6 p.m.
- Southfield Yard – 12255 Southfield Road, 10:30 a.m. – 6 p.m.
- 5840 Anthon between Cavalry and Campbell, 10:30 a.m. – 6 p.m.
- State Fair Yard – 19715 John R, 10:30 a.m. – 6 p.m.
- J. Fons Transfer Station – 6451 E. McNichols,8 a.m. – 4 p.m.