s sky-high up-do at Lupita Nyong’o‘ Monday’s Met Gala really stole the show. But it didn’t take long for a mainstream publication to start the misappropriation. Vogue Magazine credited the look to Hollywood icon Audrey Hepburn.
Confused? Lupita was too, and she took to Instagram to voice her thoughts. She *elegantly* clapped back with the below video, making sure to tag the magazine in the caption, which read: “
Hair inspiration. Check.”
The clip shows images of Black women wearing the style, proving that sculptural up-dos are a traditional African look. On the red carpet, Lupita also credited
Nina Simone as her hair inspiration.
Tell ’em, Lupita.
SOURCE: Black Girl Long Hair | PHOTO CREDIT: Getty, Instagram, Twitter
La La, Lupita Nyong'o, & More Celebrities Hit Opening Night Of "Eclipsed"
14 photos Launch gallery
1. Mommy is ALWAYS there!!!!!! ❤️❤️ @eclipsedbway
1 of 14
2. La La, Lupita, and Danai
2 of 14
3. Lupita in green.
3 of 14
4. Lupita Nyong'o x Danai Gurira
4 of 14
5. Danai Gurira shows off her beautiful smile.
5 of 14
6. Naturi Naughton
6 of 14
7. John Turturro
7 of 14
8. Slay, La.
8 of 14
9. Stephen Byrd & guest
9 of 14
10. La La, accompanied by her brother Christian.
10 of 14
11. La La x Michael K. Williams x Rohan Marley
11 of 14
12. La La stands by her mom and brother.
12 of 14
13. Magical Night 💫💫 thanks so much to @monicarosestyle & @nikkinelms & @rennyvasquez ❤️❤️ @eclipsedbway is a MUST SEE!!
13 of 14
14. #Eclipsed #afterparty w/these beautiful people!Congrats @lala 4 being a producer on this beautiful play! So proud of you girl! 👏🏾
14 of 14