UPDATED 1:45 PM ET
Another 53 people were injured.
The Daily Beast has released a photo of Mateen:
Here’s what we know so far about the suspected shooter:
- Mateen acted alone and was killed by Orlando law enforcement.
- The Sentinel writes that he was a licensed gun owner and worked as a security guard.
- He was armed with an assault rifle, a handgun and an “unspecified device.”
- The Los Angeles Times reports Mateen may have had Islamic leanings.
- Mateen was a native of Port St. Lucie, which was about 120 miles south of Orlando’s coast. His family migrated to the U.S. from Afghanistan. He was born in New York in 1986.
- FBI says they have not ruled out terrorism as a motive.
- According to the Huffington Post, the father of the suspected gunman says his son was not driven by religious ideology, but instead a kiss he witnessed between two gay men in Miami a few months ago.
- Mateen was previously married. His ex-wife told The Washington Post that he was abusive during their marriage.
- NBC News reports that Mateen called 911 moments before the shooting to pledge allegiance to ISIS.
This is the deadliest mass shooting in United States history and Orlando has declared a state of emergency.
Story is developing, check back for updates.