The City of Detroit, in an effort to ease some homeowners’ property tax burden and prevent the threat of foreclosure, will host a Property Tax Assistance Fair. This FREE event, which is open to the public, will be held on Saturday, June 18 from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the Northwest Activity Center 18100 Meyers. Rd.
The fair will feature representatives from the Treasury Dept. and Assessors Department, who will be able to assist homeowners who may be eligible for programs that can help to reduce some portion of their annual property tax. Officials from Wayne County and foreclosure prevention community groups will also be on-site.
Below are programs that are available, along with specific information homeowners should bring with them if they wish to apply:
Neighborhood Enterprise Zone Homestead (NEZ-H):
- One (1) original and two (2) copies of the completed NEZ-H application
- Three (3) copies of recorded conveyance (Deed or Land Contract)
- One (1) copy of your driver’s license or state ID. It must show the same NEZ-H address for which you are applying.
Your property must be already noted in our records as your principal residence.
Complete description of proposed improvements that will be made after the NEZ-Homestead Certificate is issued.
Senior Citizen Solid Waste Discount:
- Proof of annual income of $40,000 or less (federal tax return, state tax return, or Michigan Property Tax Credit Form). If none are available, reverse side of application must be notarized affirming income.
- Proof of applicant’s identity, address and age (must be 65 years of age and must possess a valid driver’s license, state ID, passport or other government issued photo identification).
- Valid driver’s license or state ID.
Home must have a Principal Residence Exemption (100% for single unit, 50% for multi-unit).
Principal Residence Exemption (PRE):
- Valid driver’s license or state ID (If name on ID is different than what is listed in tax record of the City of Detroit, then a stamped Property Transfer Affidavit is required),
For more information about the Property Tax Assistance Fair, contact (313) 943-4000.
WHAT: Property Tax Assistance Fair
WHEN: 10 a.m. – 1 p.m., Saturday, June 18th
WHERE: Wayne County Community College District (WCCCD), NW Campus, 8200 W. Outer Drive