Downtown Detroit will be a hub of activity this weekend as tens of thousands of runners and walkers participate in the Detroit Free Press/Talmer Bank Marathon. To help individuals navigate, the City of Detroit is providing the following information on street closures.
Here are street closures and traffic restrictions beginning Saturday, Oct. 15 until the conclusion of the marathon:
Saturday, October 15
Closed from 6:30 a.m. – noon
- Atwater from Riopelle to DNR Outdoor Adventure Center parking lot
- A number of streets bounded by the Detroit River, Jos. Campau, East Jefferson and the Renaissance Center will be closed from 6 a.m. to noon on Saturday.
Closed from 8 a.m. – midnight
- Fort from First to Griswold
- First Street from Congress to Lafayette
Sunday, October 16
Closed from 2 a.m. – 4 p.m.
- Fort from Second to Griswold
Closed from 2 a.m. – 6 p.m.
- Fort Street between Third and Griswold
- Shelby from Michigan to W. Congress
- Washington from Michigan to W. Congress
- Cass from Michigan to W. Congress
- First Street north of W. Lafayette to W. Congress
Closed from midnight on Sunday to 2 a.m. on Monday
- W. Fort from Griswold to First Street (cross streets open except as noted)
- First Street from W. Congress to W. Lafayette
- W. Fort from Griswold to Second (cross streets closed) will be closed from 2 a.m. – 4 p.m.
- Griswold from Michigan to W. Larned will be closed from 4 a.m. – 4 p.m.
- Washington from Congress to Larned will be closed from 4 – 7 a.m.
- Northbound I-75 Bridge to Canada (Exit 47B) will be closed from 5 – 9 a.m.
- W. Fort from Clark to W. Grand Blvd. will be closed from 5 – 8:30 a.m.
- Southbound Lodge Freeway south of I-75 will be closed from 4 – 11 a.m.
- Southbound Lodge Freeway ramp to E. Larned will be closed from 5 a.m. – 2 p.m.
- I-375 Service Drive from E. Lafayette to E. Congress St will be closed from 6 – 11 a.m.
- Southbound I-375 Freeway exits to Jefferson (east and west) will be closed from 6 a.m. – 2:30 p.m.
A number of street closings and traffic restrictions will be in place on East Jefferson from 1-375 east to Burns Avenue and will affect travel to and from Belle Isle State Park from 7:30 a.m. – 1:30 p.m.
- Ambassador Bridge will have restricted access from 5:45 – 9 a.m.
- Detroit-Windsor Tunnel will be closed from 6:45 – 10 a.m. on Sunday
Visitors are encouraged to use the following City of Detroit parking facilities and ride the Detroit People Mover to the station closest to their destination.
- The Millennium Garage, 432 W. Congress – Open 24 hours – $10
- Grand Circus Garage, 600-01 Woodward Avenue – Open 24 hours – $20
- Premier Garage, 1206-08 Woodward – Open 6 a.m. – 2 p.m. – $10
- Ford Underground, 30 East Jefferson Avenue – Open 5 a.m. – 6 p.m. – $10
The Municipal Parking Department (MPD) is reminding motorists to follow all posted parking signs. On Oct. 16, MPD will enforce street parking safety violations to ensure that fire hydrants, handicap parking spaces, bus stops, crosswalks and sidewalks are open and safe for emergency vehicles, pedestrians and traffic.
In addition, the Department will boot scofflaw vehicles. Kiosk zones will not be enforced on Sunday.
Citizens also may pay their parking tickets at the Parking Violation Bureau on this Sunday, Oct. 16 only from 3 – 7 p.m.
Also, motorists are reminded that individuals asking for payment for parking at surface lots should have proper identification indicating they are registered with the City of Detroit.
Detroit People Mover
The Detroit People Mover will open at 5 a.m. on Sunday, October 16, to accommodate participants and spectators.
The closest People Mover stations to the start-finish line are Fort/Cass and Cobo Center. The Fort/Cass and Michigan stations will remain open until 7 a.m. and then close until 2 p.m. Trains will by-pass these stations; patrons may exit at Cobo Center or Times Square to reach the finish line.
DPM trains will make standard stops at all remaining stations, resuming full loop service at 2 p.m. until midnight.