Actor Shemar Moore’s sexuality has sparked a lot of speculation. The Criminal Minds star set the record straight during a recent interview, claiming that he’s not gay. “I just think it’s all silly. If you’re gay, you’re gay. I’m not, and I know that and I’m very comfortable with who I am and I love women,” said Moore. “I’ve dated plenty of them. If you think I’m gay, send your girlfriend over to my house for the weekend and see what happens.” He doesn’t want his public statements to be perceived as negativity towards the LGBT community. He says he appreciates his LGBT fans. When he addressed the rumors back in March, he posted an image on Instagram with a gay fan saying that he doesn’t want to “allow people to feel small.” Read more.
Ohio Governor Signs New Anti-Abortion Bill
In Ohio, pro-life legislation is changing the course of women’s healthcare. On Tuesday, Gov. John Kasich vetoed a bill that would prevent women from getting abortions after six weeks of pregnancy. Although he rejected that measure, he signed a new bill that would ban the procedure when a woman is 20 weeks pregnant. Gov. Kasich claims that the “heartbeat bill,” which prevents women from getting an abortion after a heartbeat is detected, conflicted with Supreme Court rulings. He says that the 20-week ban is “the best, most legally sound and sustainable approach to protecting the sanctity of human life.” Ohio is the 16th state in our nation to ban abortions during the early stages of pregnancy. Other states including North Dakota and Arkansas have tried to do the same, however, their attempts were blocked by courts. Read more.
Advocates Address Lack Of Diversity On U.S. Senate Staffs
In 2015, the Joint Center for Political and Economic Research released a report that illustrated the lack of minorities on U.S. Senate staffs. According to the study, only 7.1 percent of people of color were at the senior-level. In 2016, the numbers still remain stagnant. This has prompted the Joint Center and civil rights organizations to address the problem. In November, a letter was issued to those who won Senate seats for the first time. “As each of you put together your staff, it is critical to do so with a recognition of the profound lack of racial diversity that currently exists among staff in the U.S. Senate, and to take an approach that embraces inclusiveness,” read the letter. So far, two senators have made the effort to hire more women and people of color. Read more.
New Film Will Focus On Black Family Plagued By Racism And Inequality
A new movie, directed by Antonio Méndez Esparza, will bring attention to the discrimination and social disparities that confront African-American families. The film, titled Life and Nothing More, will be centered on a 30-year-old Black single mother who struggles to raise her three sons in North Florida. The scripted film, inspired by real-life experiences, captures the racial climate during the U.S. presidential election. “’Life’ has a rhythm and tension that will also makes it commercial. The fact of filming in English and addressing relevant issues in a current U.S. context opens up the market for the film,” says producer Hernandez Santos. The project is being created under Aquí y Allí Films. There is no set release date. Read more.
Meagan Good Will Star In New ‘Foxy Brown’ TV Series
Actress Meagan Good is bringing a little bit of ’70s nostalgia to Hulu with the recreation of Foxy Brown. The 1974 film that starred Pam Grier will be readapted as a television series. Good will take on Grier’s role. The series will be executive produced by her husband DeVon Franklin and Tony Krantz. Good will also serve as one of the producers. Malcolm Spellman and Ben Watkins will pen the script. Details regarding when the series will make its debut have yet to be released. Read more.
Happy Birthday, Barack Obama: Photos That Will Make You Miss Your Favorite President
1. Barack Gives Daughter Malia a KissSource:Getty 1 of 29
2. Michelle and Barack tell the kids a storySource:Getty 2 of 29
3. Michelle and Barack KissSource:Getty 3 of 29
4. Michelle and BarackSource:Getty 4 of 29
5. First Family PortraitSource:Getty 5 of 29
6. Two TermsSource:Getty 6 of 29
7. Michelle and Barack host a State DinnerSource:Getty 7 of 29
8. Barack Obama and Michelle ObamaSource:Getty 8 of 29
9. Sunday ChurchSource:Getty 9 of 29
10. Barack Obama and his daughter Malia ObamaSource:Getty 10 of 29
11. A Family AffairSource:Getty 11 of 29
12. Flashback To The Old DaysSource:Pete Souza 12 of 29
13. Happy Birthday!Source:Getty 13 of 29
14. Candidly AwesomeSource:Pete Souza 14 of 29
15. Historic First FamilySource:Getty 15 of 29
16. Ice Cream TreatSource:Getty 16 of 29
17. TV TimeSource:Pete Souza 17 of 29
18. Hawaii Trip!Source:Getty 18 of 29
19. Obama Loves Team USA & His WifeSource:Getty 19 of 29
20. Reading TimeSource:Pete Souza 20 of 29
21. Family SupportSource:Getty 21 of 29
22. Supporting MomSource:Pete Souza 22 of 29
23. Giving Back On MLK DaySource:Getty 23 of 29
24. Obamas Give Back To The CommunitySource:Getty 24 of 29
25. Always Supporting Small BusinessesSource:Getty 25 of 29
26. Obama SwaggerSource:Getty 26 of 29
27. Laughs & TurkeysSource:Getty 27 of 29
28. Christmas With The ObamasSource:Getty 28 of 29
29. 50th Anniversary Of March On SelmaSource:Pete Souza 29 of 29
NEWS ROUNDUP: Actor Shemar Moore Addresses Gay Rumors…AND MORE was originally published on newsone.com