A congratulatory bus tour rolled through Prince George’s County Public Schools in Maryland on Wednesday. The school district’s CEO Kevin Maxwell led the celebration that recognized eight schools that achieved at least a 90 percent graduation rate, the Washington Informer reports.
“We want to congratulate the schools with the successes they have had in raising graduation rates,” Maxwell stated. “Behind those numbers are graduates who walk across the stage with a diploma that gives them opportunities they were not getting three years ago. We are thrilled.”
According to the news outlet, the school system, achieved an overall 81 percent graduation rate last year—the second highest graduation rate increase in the state. Black students in the county, which the U.S. Census Bureau reports as 64 percent African-American, graduated at a rate that increased from 81 percent to 85 percent.
Among other programs, Maxwell credited the county’s Early Warning System for help at-risk freshmen before they stumble.
Khadijah Abu, a senior at DuVal High School in Lanham, told The Informer that some of the new rules school administrators implemented puzzled her and other students.
“Then you look back at it and they are doing it for our own good,” she stated. “If they would just let us just roam around the halls and do whatever, then we wouldn’t be graduating at a 93 percent rate.”
Abu won a $23,000 scholarship from Quinnipiac University. The 17-year-old student, who wants to study law, has been accepted into five colleges, The Informer said.
SOURCE: Washington Informer
Happy Birthday, Barack Obama: Photos That Will Make You Miss Your Favorite President
1. Barack Gives Daughter Malia a KissSource:Getty 1 of 29
2. Michelle and Barack tell the kids a storySource:Getty 2 of 29
3. Michelle and Barack KissSource:Getty 3 of 29
4. Michelle and BarackSource:Getty 4 of 29
5. First Family PortraitSource:Getty 5 of 29
6. Two TermsSource:Getty 6 of 29
7. Michelle and Barack host a State DinnerSource:Getty 7 of 29
8. Barack Obama and Michelle ObamaSource:Getty 8 of 29
9. Sunday ChurchSource:Getty 9 of 29
10. Barack Obama and his daughter Malia ObamaSource:Getty 10 of 29
11. A Family AffairSource:Getty 11 of 29
12. Flashback To The Old DaysSource:Pete Souza 12 of 29
13. Happy Birthday!Source:Getty 13 of 29
14. Candidly AwesomeSource:Pete Souza 14 of 29
15. Historic First FamilySource:Getty 15 of 29
16. Ice Cream TreatSource:Getty 16 of 29
17. TV TimeSource:Pete Souza 17 of 29
18. Hawaii Trip!Source:Getty 18 of 29
19. Obama Loves Team USA & His WifeSource:Getty 19 of 29
20. Reading TimeSource:Pete Souza 20 of 29
21. Family SupportSource:Getty 21 of 29
22. Supporting MomSource:Pete Souza 22 of 29
23. Giving Back On MLK DaySource:Getty 23 of 29
24. Obamas Give Back To The CommunitySource:Getty 24 of 29
25. Always Supporting Small BusinessesSource:Getty 25 of 29
26. Obama SwaggerSource:Getty 26 of 29
27. Laughs & TurkeysSource:Getty 27 of 29
28. Christmas With The ObamasSource:Getty 28 of 29
29. 50th Anniversary Of March On SelmaSource:Pete Souza 29 of 29
Predominantly Black Maryland School District Celebrates Rising Graduation Rate was originally published on newsone.com